Regardless of whether or not your home’s lighting or electrical appliances appear to be operating smoothly, you may not be able to trust that this is enough to negate the need for an electrical wiring inspection.
If you are a Perth property owner with a property that is 20+ years old, your home may be at particular risk for faulty or obsolete wiring. Although there are several noticeable signs that often prompt homeowners to call a local electrical technician, sometimes the age of a home is enough to necessitate a need for a wiring inspection as well.
Signs Indicating Need for Electrical Rewiring
While building professionals recommend houses twenty years and older have their various wiring systems inspected, newer homes can sometimes need inspections as well. There are several signs a homeowner can look for to determine whether or not their property requires rewiring services.
- Current or past pest issues – Pests such as mice or rats in particular can be a threat to wiring within a home, as they are known to chew on what wires they may find. Whether your property has experienced past problems with pests or is currently experiencing pest control issues, it may be best to have a qualified professional inspect your wiring to determine whether it has or has not been damaged.
- Colour of your wiring – While modern wiring is typically grey or white due to the PVC material covering it for long-lasting use, older wiring is likely black in colour, covered with a rubber-like material that can wear over time and become unsafe.
- Flickering or dimming lights
- Fuses that blow on a regular basis
- Any burning smells – If you are noticing any strange burning smells within your home, and are not able to locate the source, this may indicate a shorting of wires either underneath your floors or within the walls of the walls.
- Frequently-tripping circuit breakers
Having your home’s electrical wiring inspected not only can give you reassurance that everything is functioning suitably but can also ensure the safety of your home.
Checking, repairing, or replacing wiring within a home that is experiencing any of the above issues is an important part of planning for a safe future, so you can be sure that you are not putting yourself or any other occupants residing on your property at risk.
Hire Professionals to Handle Your House’s Rewiring
Due to recent changes to Institute of Electrical Engineers (IEE) wiring regulations, some electrical rewiring duties are now required by law to be performed by a licensed electrician.
Some of these include:
- Checking and replacing damaged cabling
- Rewiring kitchen and bathroom lighting systems
- Replacing electrical sockets, light switches, and ceiling roses
Attempting to perform these repair and replacement services on your own can also be dangerous and is, therefore, best left to a qualified professional who has experience performing rewiring tasks.
In order to have your home undergo a comprehensive rewiring process, it is in the best interest for homeowners to find hire a local electrician that is qualified to efficiently attend to your home’s rewiring.
Richtek Electrical & Air Solutions is Perth’s #1 favourite group of electrical contractors who are available to assist homeowners in need of electrical rewiring services.
Call us at (08) 9375 3926 to get a FREE no-obligation quote for your home rewiring service today.